Monday, July 18, 2011

Bring on the books

As Sasha is wrapping up being a new born and headed into the infant world on Friday as he turns three month he is astonishingly more alert. He looks and listens to everything around him. His little head pokes up and his big blue eyes widen as I tour him around our apartment and Brooklyn in his stroller and baby carrier.

As a previous teacher and avid reader I was really looking forward to introducing Sasha to books. He hadn't really taken too much of an interest up until now. We received an amazing book from our friends, Elena and Steven called "ABC" by Bruno Munari. The copyright is 1960 so it has those bold and bright illustrations that only a hippie, um, I mean an infant could love. I propped Sasha up on some pillows and as soon as he saw the cover he was captivated from start to finish.  I have read him the entire book every morning since we received it last week. Reading books has been a welcomed addition to our fun filled morning ritual of songs and tickles by yours truly. The smiles and giggles in the morning make every day more special than the next. Fortunately Sasha is a morning person like his mama.

B for Burling

In addition to Sasha's new love of books, he also has a new fondness for textiles which I discovered by accident. I put him down one day on the couch and found him mesmerized by a pillow that I made with a bold pattern. He was cooing and gurgling for about fifteen minutes just staring at the pillow. Hey, who needs baby toys when you have textiles? We spend a lot of time looking at all the various patterns in our home, but this pillow remains his favorite for now. 

This is a great past time while I try to stick my hands in my mouth
Lastly, not only does Sasha have a love of literature and design, but he can't get enough music in his life. He has a fondness for my off key singing and the wonderful music box I received as a shower gift which plays "It's a small world". No matter how hungry, tired or upset he is we can put him on his changing table and play nursery rhymes top 40 and he is in the zone - smiling and cooing. He has not quite taken to the Jackson 5, but we'll get there.

We are thrilled that Sasha is just starting to get into the arts and we plan to continue to keep him engaged and entertained as his curiosity continues to grow. Fortunately we live in New York where we are surrounded by culture.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe Grandma can take him on the "Small World" ride and they can both cry together :)

    ReplyDelete