Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Teething Woes

While teething is not a new phenomena to parents, having my baby quietly rest on my shoulder is. It's a rare occasion that this happens and lucky for Ari he got the cuddles last month. Don't get me wrong, I don't want my child to feel pain...ever, but it does happen. 


In the past Sasha never showed signs of teething rather than mass quantities of droll. Basically I saw a tooth bud then low and behold an entire almost adult size tooth appeared in days followed by another one. We haven't seen any new teeth in months until this one little bugger, the bottom "lateral incisor" that is taking it's sweet time to debut. 


Sasha had been gnawing on his fingers for weeks, a sure sign of discomfort in the mouth, but no visible tooth. Finally, about two weeks ago I saw the tooth making it's way out, but it's still taking it's time to fully debut unlike it's other tooth pals who have made themselves quite cozy. 


This past Sunday Sasha took an extremely long nap in the morning only to wake up miserable. He had giant tears on and off all day, didn't eat (very unusual) and was just down right in pain and unhappy. After a day of needing lots of TLC he finally settled into my arms while I was seated and not carrying him standing which he prefers. It only lasted about six minutes, but I loved every second that my little guy found comfort on my shoulder. 


Fortunately it's now Tuesday and Sasha appears to be feeling much better. 


Someone doesn't feel so good. 
Whatever it is, just make it go away mama, please. 

1 comment:

  1. How cute!


    If ever you asked me what specific pain can make me cry like a baby and moan like a woman giving birth, I would definitely, without any doubt, answer toothache. Having a toothache is one of the worst pains that you can experience in your life mostly because having one makes you feel very vulnerable and weak. Also, it was a bit hard for me to look for an appropriate pain relief method for it so I felt that I was really stuck in a rut! Toothaches are really the worst kind of pain that you would never wish on anyone!

    Just last week, I had experienced toothache once again. I felt that one of my teeth was swollen. When I had my mother check it – my mother is a certified dentist – she exclaimed that I am still in the process of teething! Imagine that, a 20-year old woman is right in the middle of teething! You can definitely think of this scenario: I was crying and my tooth was swollen. It was not one of my best moments.

    In my desperation, I immediately ingested some pain relievers such as Paracetamol. What can I say – I really wanted an immediate pain relief because I already took the half-day off from work so I had a pile of work that I needed to catch up on. After waiting for half an hour, I had great hope that the pain would go away. However, my hope was crushed because nothing changed. I decided to give it another chance so I waited for another 30 minutes but nothing significant really happened. My pain was still present and I was still behind my work schedule.

    Another pain relief method I did was using salt water as a mouth gargle. I was able to fill a cup with warm water and add one teaspoon of salt. I gargled and gargled until I could gargle no more. What I realized was as long as I am gargling, the pain seems to be alleviated, but when I am done gargling, the pain returns! I appreciated the pain relief but it was only temporary. I mean, I couldn’t gargle while working just so the pain will go away. I needed a permanent solution to this painful problem.

    My mother recommended a solution that I will forever be grateful to. Invest in a heating pad and the pain will say goodbye. We tried Helios Heater Heating Pads (http://heliosheater.com/) for my toothache. What I did was I just pressed the floating coin and it is already activated. I didn’t even need to use microwave or electricity – just activate it hassle-free! I was able to lay my head down on the heating pad and I felt the pain slowly fading into oblivion. Needless to say, I was able to complete my work and my mother was able to continue attending to her patients (She told me I was her most sensitive patient!). It was a win-win situation. Kudos to the Helios Heater team!

    ReplyDelete