Tuesday, October 4, 2011

First food tastings

At Sasha's four month check up six weeks ago I asked the doctor when we can start to introduce solid foods since Sasha started to show some interest in our food. Our doctor told us that we should let him taste everything and anything we eat so when he starts to eat his palette will be broad. 


Considering we love food and want our son to love food I really ran with the idea of the tastings. The first thing I let Sasha try was a strawberry. While he was in the tub I let him taste a strawberry and he loved it. Next up, half a grape, which he also loved. Mind you when I say taste, I merely let Sasha either lick the piece of food or I put some on my finger. Visions of him eating strawberries in the tub may have crossed your mind...I think we are heading in this direction. 


Next up, I let him try yogurt which he also loved. Hey this is fun, how about I try letting him lick some hummus and salsa off my finger - both he loved. When I gave him a lemon to try he gave the official sour lemon face.


We did many tastings his fourth month and he pretty much liked almost everything I gave him, so we decided he was ready to take it to the next step. I mashed up bananas for him and he was grabbing the bowl since I wasn't getting the spoon in his mouth quick enough, mashed yams he couldn't get enough of, avocado, not his favorite, but still didn't hate it. 


I figured since he was jumping right into food I should let him try the standard of all babies first foods - rice cereal. As I mixed up the rice cereal, I thought to myself "this looks disgusting". Well sure enough my little guy thought the same thing.


Um, yuck, where's the good stuff mom? 
However, he seems have a strong interest in pizza. One Sunday, while at our favorite local pizza place we decide it would fun to see how Sasha reacts to a giant slice. Within two seconds his little hands were grabbing my slice and getting shoved into his mouth. Clearly he's a real Brooklyn baby who knows a good slice when he finds one. 
Now we're talking..no more rice cereal please

No comments:

Post a Comment